Thursday, February 28, 2008

Harrisburg Giants

Every year the Harrisburg Senators hold a game honoring those individuals who played in the Negro Leagues. This is truly one of my favorite events all season. I love the atmosphere this event brings, the old style uniforms and the pre-game ceremony. The best part of all is having the opportunity to meet and talk with several members of the Harrisburg Giants. Listening to their stories is priceless. If I was able to attend only one game each year, this would be it.

I was really hoping to write a more in-depth article covering the entire history of the Harrisburg Giants but the lack of information available has prevented me from writing it at this time. I will do some digging around so I am better prepared to write something closer to the game honoring the Negro League players this season.

For now I’m posting images from the past two seasons Negro League event. I’ve also compiled links to various interviews/articles of players from the Harrisburg Giants.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Willie Fordham (pictured above) pitched for the Harrisburg Giants from 1954 until 1957. He is also the author of "I Gave it my Best Shot". He played with and against the best players to play the game. Be sure to buy a couple copies of his book for you and your friends. His book may be ordered directly from him for $20 at the following address:
Willie Fordham
3608 Tudor Dr
Harrisburg, PA 17109.

Make checks payable to Willie Fordham. Price includes an autographed copy of his book and S&H. Willie told me all orders will be mailed out next day.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Eddie “G.G.” Burton (pictured above)

Be sure to read Patrice Gaines article, Ed Burton: Living History. Ms. Gaines wrote an amazing article on her friend’s husband.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


How I C It Sports' Angela Fuller conducted an interview with Leo “Syke” Burnett (pictured above), Jim Weedon and Eddie “G.G.” Burton, that is well worth reading.
Burnett,Weedon, Burton Interview


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

All-purpose star and team Captain, Tom Hailey (pictured above), won a Gruen Watch for being named the Most Valuable Player in the entire Eastern Negro League during the 1954 season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My company does video news stories on great people with awesome attitudes -- they don't get much better than some of the Negro League players who broke barriers in baseball!

You can see a video we did at MLB's recent symbolic draft of Negro League players, which includes Millito Navarro, Peanut Johnson, Charley Pride and Bill Blair as well as Ken Griffey and Dave Winfield.

I hope you enjoy it!

http://growingbolder.com/media/Sports/Baseball/Righting-a-Wrong-155775.html