Monday, April 28, 2008

Cutting Back.....

To my loyal readers I apologize for not posting over the past few days. I have been contemplating which direction I want to go in with this site. I don’t feel as though I have enough time to dedicate to covering the Harrisburg Senators in the ways that I initially planned. I brainstormed over the winter and came up with ideas on how I wanted to cover the Senators; some of the ideas you’ve seen, some were used elsewhere before I had a chance to implement them so they were scrapped and others have not got off the ground yet. I intended to use this site as a place for Senators fans to unite and discuss our favorite team. Fans could come here for all the information regarding the team as opposed to visiting several different sites.

It takes a considerable amount of time and effort to compile the information needed to keep this site fresh and up-to-date. While I enjoy publishing articles on here several times a day, it has consumed a great deal of my day (everyday). It is truly a second job that doesn’t pay very well (or at all for that matter). Going into this I knew I would have a great deal of work to do but didn’t fully realize the time that it would take to publish articles several times a day, attend games (take photos and takes notes on the game), take photos for on here (as well as MiLB/MLB), and not to mention editing all the photos. Each photo needs edited 2-3 times (different sizes for MiLB/MLB vs. on here). I already compiled a lot of this information I'm sharing here when preparing to photograph a game but converting it into a published article takes considerable time.

All the time used keeping this site updated has caused me to neglect certain things which mean a lot to me. Over the past 6 months my family has seen less and less of me as I tried extremely hard to ‘create’ this site. They have been very supportive and accommodating but I feel that they deserve better.

On a MUCH smaller scale, I’ve been neglecting something else I enjoy very much, photography. I’m not a writer; I am a photographer that is trying to write. I think I’ve done okay in the writing department but have seen a drop off in my production as a photographer. In the past years my photos would have been edited and posted within a day, but now it takes me 4-5 days to remove them from the camera for editing. To me that is not acceptable.

To all the fans that check out this site, don’t fear I’m not shutting it down. However I am going to greatly cut back on the number of times I post. I still plan on posting frequently, just not several times a day. I would recommend checking out the Official site of the Harrisburg Senators for all the day-to-day stuff and the 'latest and greatest' information.

To all those who visit here, e-mail me, or post comments, I greatly appreciate your feedback and support. Hopefully you will continue to visit my site frequently. I still have plenty of ideas and thoughts to post on here. Some of the stuff is truly classic. I also have a few BIG things planned for around Negro League Night, which is scheduled for June 30th.

Thank you,
Will

No comments: