Thursday, February 28, 2008

Exclusive Interview with GM Randy Whitaker

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

About two weeks ago I had an opportunity to conduct an e-mail interview with General Manager of the Harrisburg Senators, Randy Whitaker. He was kind enough to answer both business and personal questions. Enjoy…


SFU: Could you please tell Senators fans about your background before being hired as the Senators GM? How you think it will help in your new position?

RW: Until coming to the Senators, I spent my entire career in local television. Two weeks after graduating from the University of Tennessee I started at a station in Winston-Salem, NC. Then a 6 year stop in Memphis, and then on to abc27 for over 19 years here in Harrisburg. I was always in some aspect of marketing sales, i.e., selling commercial time to businesses. My last 5 years at abc27 I was Research Director (marketing research to support the station sales, news and programming efforts), Marketing Director (marketing and promoting the station from the sales point of view), and Special Projects Coordinator (logistics leader for station sales projects like Midstate Home Makeover and Family Fun Fair). I had the longest business card at the station.

I actually had to be in the position here to realize how well my experienced matched the needs here. It is all about marketing. We want to market the team to bring as many fans to the stadium as possible. Once we do that, we want to market those fans to our business partners so that they get the return on their sponsorship investment that will make them want to grow that partnership and investment year after year.

So basically I’ve gone from marketing one form of entertainment to another. Being the huge minor league baseball fan that I am, it is easy for me to get behind my produce with a successful passion.

SFU: Some fans may not know what a minor league GM’s job consist of. Could you please describe what some of your duties include?

RW: The GM of a minor league baseball team is the leader of the business efforts of the team. The Nationals will handle all the player matters and baseball stuff. We’re responsible for making the operation of the business around the game function successfully so that the fans will enjoy the best experience possible, and the business partners will get the best return on their investment.

On top of that, we have the matter of stadium upkeep, accommodations management for the visiting teams, the umps, etc. Basically everything you can think of – and many things you wouldn’t even notice to think of – that makes the season run.

SFU: What are some of the things you will miss most going from fan to GM?

RW: It will be a trade off. I’ll get to experience the excitement of being a part of the game itself. But I’ll also miss some of the personal aspects that I won’t have time for anymore, or will just not be allowed to partake in because it is “against the code.” The biggest change for me will be autographs. I can’t get them. I’ve spent hours after games getting autographs. I’ve got 12 years of complete sets of Eastern League team balls that I’ve gotten outside the visitor’s locker after games. My collection numbers over 1700 balls, many of which I’ve gotten here at the park. Now that is not something that is allowed. That will be a big change.

SFU: You started a blog, A Fan is the GM, shortly after being hired. What made you want to start a blog? What are your expectations for it?

RW: I want to let our fans know that I’m still one of them and I am approaching things from their point of view. I think this is a really cool experience and if it had happened to someone else, I would have loved to hear what they were going through too. Unfortunately, that is not exactly the direction that the blog has taken. It has been more of a promotional discussion. But is has been my personal promotional discussion and not some polished marketing message. The reason it hasn’t been more “bloggish” is that most of the stuff I have been through is … well, I think it would be pretty boring or uninteresting to the general fan. Sure, it’s interesting, but how much do people want to know about calling on potential business partners, or negotiating with hotels? So I try to make it worth reading too.

SFU: In your blog, several times you mentioned the importance of superior customer service. Could you please tell the fans your definition of superior customer service? Also, could your provide examples of how it will be different this season compared to previous years?

RW: It’s all about the details. I’ve always had a passion for customer service. My boys hate it when I go on a rant about the decline of good customer service out in the business world. I think any paying customer deserves what they pay for, that is a vital part of the contract we have with our fans. If they are going to come and be good fans (and I recognize that some aren’t – but the vast majority are), then they deserve the best service we can deliver for their dollar. So I pledge to pay more attention to details this year. I hope you’ll see a difference in things like cleanliness and staff performance. It’s been fine – we’ll just do it better this year.

SFU: What changes can fans expect to see as far as promotions and in-game entertainment during the 2008 season?

RW: I won’t go into details because I don’t want to ruin the surprises, but I will say that you’ll see a freshening and increased variety that I don’t think has been present for a while. To the casual, once-or-twice-a-year-fan, it won’t be as evident since every game is new. But to the regular fan, you should see it pretty early.

SFU: Lately, Senators fans have had a lot of questions regarding stadium renovations. Are you able to update them on the status of the renovations? When will the new design be available to the public? Is there a time frame as to when renovations might begin? Is there anything that might further delay the renovation process?

RW: The plans are going forward for a complete rebuild over the off season. We hopefully will start taking down parts of the existing structure (some parts that won’t interrupt fan experience this year) during the season this year. After the season it all come down – right down to the dirt. Only the playing surface will remain. Then by opening day 2009, we’ll be in our new home. The architects continue to meet and plan and refine the design. Hopefully early this season we’ll be able to put some renderings out for public display. The only thing that could sink us is the state side of the funding not coming through – though we have pretty good assurances that it will come through in time to get it done on time. It’s Harrisburg’s turn!!!!

SFU: When the 2008 season is over, the fans go home, the players move on and the stadium is cleaned out; when you have time to reflect on the season what do you hope to have accomplished?

RW: This year is all about maximizing the fan experience in the last year of the current facility and setting up things for the move to the new one next year. If we make things better this year, and make the transition easier for next year, it will be a success.

SFU: You mentioned that you lived locally for a long time. What activities do you or your family like to do in the Harrisburg area?

RW: You mean besides baseball? After all, my life for the last 15 years has been spent chasing the next minor league game here or elsewhere. But the other things: We are very involved in our church and especially the youth group there. Lots of opportunity for activities there. We like working on our house and yard. There never seems to be enough time.

SFU: You noted that you frequently traveled to various places to see baseball games. What were some of your favorite places you visited and why? Do you think this will help in your role as GM and how?

RW: I hope my travels will translate to some of the freshening mentioned earlier. I’ve seen games in nearly 100 different stadiums, 80 of which were minor leagues. I’ve seen lots of things I’d like to try, and some things I definitely want to avoid. Some of the best operations I’ve seen are right around here. Altoona and Reading both run outstanding organizations. As far as ballparks, I tend to like the historic old parks like Williamsport, Vermont and Bluefield WV. They may not be the most comfortable facilities, but the nostalgia is wonderful in a venue like that. You feel like you are going back in time to the days of Ruth and Gehrig.

SFU: If you collect baseball memorabilia, autographs and cards. What were some of your favorite things you collected during your travels?

RW: I have a pretty substantial collection. In addition the baseballs, I’ve got cards, player worn jerseys, stadium seats from old parks, etc. It is my passion. Luckily I don’t have to work weekends when the team is on the road, so I’ll still have the chance to get out to other parks to see what they are doing and continue to build my collection.

One of my favorite pieces in my collection? I have the PA announcer’s microphone from Watt Powell park in Charleston WV.

SFU: Before we end the interview is there anything you want to say to Senators fans?

RW: I just look forward to trying to translate all my experiences and enthusiasm into a superior experience for all my fellow Senators fans. I hope they continue to keep me posted on how we are doing – in a constructive manner – as we work on this season and the exciting future.




I want to thank Randy for taking time out to answer our questions. Good luck this season.

Please post any comments and questions.



Will

No comments: